The Doe Network:
Case File 1881DMIN

Tucker in his early 30's

Frank Tucker
Missing since January 28, 1927 from Warsaw, Kosciusko County, Indiana
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Circumstances of Disappearance
Tucker was last seen in Warsaw, Indiana on January 28, 1927.
It is suspected that the clerk at Breading's Cigar store met with foul play on his way home from work that night. His habit of carrying a large sum of money with him at all times gives cause for suspicion. When Tucker disappeared it was thought that he had $4,000 worth of cash and checks on him.

After Tucker's disappearance law enforcing officers were able to get two confessions from men who said they were implicated in the murder of Tucker. Officers obtained the confession of four men for conspiring to rob Tucker prior to January, 1927. No conviction was ever obtained nor was a body ever found. One man was tried for murder, but the trial resulted in a hung-jury. A second trial brought forth a verdict of not guilty, and the accused was set free.

Tucker was last seen by a witness who saw him in the middle of the street, turning up Lake from Center street. They talked briefly, the witness walking on the sidewalk and Tucker in the street. Tucker walked on up Lake street never to be seen again.

Tucker did not turn up for work on Saturday morning. This was odd, as Tucker always was prompt. When he didn't show up by 9:30 two men went to his house to see what was wrong. They found his bedroom undisturbed and his bed untouched. He apparently had not been home at all. A check of the neighborhood revealed that the neighbors did not remember seeing Frank come home. He had left work about 20.30.

A few days later Tucker's cap with blood spots was found in an alley off East Main street. A private detective was hired by Tucker's estate to find clues. A posse searched the rivers and lakes area meticulously for Tucker but still no evidence was turned up.

Rumors through the years reported Tucker's being in Cuba, Canada and out west, but none of these have been verified. Tucker had told a friend that he could disappear from Warsaw and no one would know where he was. It is possible that Tucker did just that. He had plenty of time to go from Pike street to the Pennsylvania railroad station, watch to see if anyone was on the platform, climb on the late train and leave Warsaw.
Tucker has never been located.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Warsaw Police Department

Source Information:
YesterYear in Print

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index